Stat Counter

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Daily Tip - Too much salt?

I'm certainly not perfect when it comes to cooking duties - as evidenced by my homemade currant jam that turned into currant candy yesterday when I let it boil for too long while Julian was screaming his little head off. That said, I thought it may be helpful to offer a "daily" tip regarding kitchen how-to that I've learned over the years.  A lot of this advice was given to me by my recently departed great-grandmother affectionately known as "Granny." 

Today - what to do if you're a little more Dennis Kuchinich than Pat Robertson when it comes to the salt... 

You essentially have a few options, depending on what it is that you're cooking. Your options are as follow: 

1.  add brown sugar or refined white sugar. Just a teaspoon or so may suffice depending on how much salt you've added to it. 

2.  if it's a soup or stew, add a thick slice or two of peeled raw potato - it tends to "suck up" the salt in the dish. 

3.  add a lemon juice drop by drop. Lemon juice tends to neutralize the taste of salt, but you have to be careful that you don't overpower whatever you're cooking with the taste of lemon. 

4.  make another batch of what you're cooking, without adding any salt, and mix them together and freeze half. Obviously, this isn't necessarily an easy fix. 

5.  if you've had a really bad day, and say - the entire top came off the salt shaker and you poured half a shaker worth in your dish - my advice? Open a bottle of wine and order take-out. Sometimes, that's just what you have to do. 

No comments: