Stat Counter

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Daily tip - flavorful ice cubes

My first semester of law school, I started drinking coffee in earnest.

It's been a torrid love affair since.

When I first started practicing law in Miami, I would have a large (16 oz. minimum) cup of coffee on my way to work while stuck in traffic on I-95. Sometimes it took just that much to get me through the Golden Glades interchange, and I'd have to stop on the way for another. Then, once at work, I'd easily down another 5-6 cups before 3 p.m. when it was time for cuban coffee. While living there, I got hooked on iced coffees, since the weather doesn't often dip below 70 degrees - there's not much use for hot coffee.

When I got pregnant with Julian, I gave up coffee cold turkey as soon as I found out. I was not, let's say - a pleasant person to be around during the "detox" phase. Now that he's here, I still occasionally have a cup or two, but not nearly as often as I used to indulge.

Last week, I was reminded of a tip that I loved to use when still living in South Florida. Freeze coffee (even with cream and sugar, if that's how you take yours) into ice cube trays, and pop them out into freezer bags once frozen. Use these instead of regular ice in your iced coffee and you won't have a diluted drink when the weather is swelteringly hot.

You can use this same principle to prevent any drink or punch from being watered down.

No comments: