Stat Counter

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tip of the Day - Stabilizing Bowls and Cutting Boards

A handy trick I learned from my great-grandmother... 

There are few things more irritating than trying to chop items quickly and having your cutting board slipping on the countertop. The solution? Grab a kitchen tea towel and run it under the faucet until it's wet. Wring it out a little so it's still fairly damp. Flip your cutting board over so the "wrong" side is up. Place the tea towel on the cutting board and pat it down a little so it sort of sticks to the cutting board surface. Flip the cutting board back over, so the wet towel is underneath. Your cutting board will now stay put while you're chopping things up. 

This concept also works great underneath mixing bowls when beating items by hand. 

More recipes coming soon, I promise. We've been remodeling our kitchen this week and the best thing I've made in there this week has been reservations for dinner out. I do have newly painted walls and cabinets, new hardware and a sparkly new vintage backsplash. I do not, however, currently have a kitchen floor. We're down to the bare plank subfloor, and since you can see slivers of the basement from the kitchen through the planks, I've been a bit leery to spend too much time in there as of late. 

1 comment:

Diana Pappas said...

Good tip!

Can't wait to see a shot of the finished kitchen, I bet it's going to be a real pleasure to cook in.