Stat Counter

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Call for freezer recipes

We just got back from a long vacation through the upper peninsula of Michigan, and I'm refreshed and happy to be home. My house is full of workers installing our new bamboo flooring in the kitchen. This means, however, that I don't have a stove for the next two days. So my cooking will have to be a bit more delayed.

In the meantime, I'm asking for your help. My maternity leave is officially over in two weeks, and I have to go back to work, which means a 2+ hour commute each way. Have any suggestions for a freezer-friendly non-meat recipe? We bought a new deep freeze and I'd love to have some things stashed away for when I go back to work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love big-batch cooking!

One of my favorites: a green-chile-cheese tart. One can mild-ish green chiles* (not jalepenos), about a pound of good gruyere or other melty white cheese (jack works), and a couple of well-beaten eggs with enough milk mixed in to help them fill the gap in your crust.

I like to bake this and another quiche (usually spinach & carmelized onion with cheddar) at the same time. Eat one for dinner, freeze the second for another night. They're both great with a salad or soup, and both reheat well.

*You can roast your own peppers if you're in the mood--poblanos work best, so next time you make rellenos make a few extra and dice for the freezer.

I'm also a huge slow-cooker fan for worknights. You can carmelize onions in your crockpot, bbq veggie meatballs, even do homemade mac & cheese or lasagne. If you make two batches fresh, freeze one in a large round plastic container and dump it in the crockpot in the morning.

For really rushed evenings, I rely on small plates if there's no casserole style dish at hand. A loaf of bread, some sliced apple & cheese, that soup from the back of the pantry--dinner!

Another fabulous freezer dish: strata. Layered bread, veggies/herbs, cheese, & egg/milk mixture. Great way to use extra bread.

Good luck with back to the office.